Lawrence S. Hirsh
Phone: (212) 603-6305 Fax: (212) 956-2164
Lawrence S. Hirsh is a Partner in the Firm’s Litigation and Capital Markets Departments. Mr. Hirsh has more than 30 years of experience as a team leader and first chair trial and appellate lawyer in major international law firms, litigating complex commercial cases in state and federal courts throughout the United States. Mr. Hirsh advises domestic and foreign companies, executives and other individuals with respect to a broad range of commercial disputes, including contracts, corporate law, director and officer liability, securities, ERISA/ESOP litigation and enforcement proceedings, partnership law, real estate, insurance, and entertainment law issues. He has extensive experience managing electronic discovery in an effective and cost-efficient manner. Mr. Hirsh also has broad experience in alternative dispute resolution, including mediation and arbitration, both domestic and abroad.
George Washington University Law School, J.D.,
Honors: magna cum laude,
Member, Geo. Wash. Law Review; Order of the Coif.
State University of New York at Albany, B.A.,
Honors: magna cum laude.
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Member, Association of the Bar of the City of New York; American Bar Association, Section on Litigation.
- Frequent Lecturer on Electronic Discovery Issues.
ERISA and Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) Litigation and Investigations
- Represented parties in connection with U.S. Department of Labor (EBSA) investigations and litigation arising out of ESOP transactions, including sponsoring companies, selling shareholders, trustees and valuation firms.
- Represented parties responding to subpoenas from U.S. Department of Labor (DOL)and private parties in connection with ESOP transactions.
- Represented parties in litigation arising out of ESOP transactions, including with regard to indemnification and contribution claims, valuation matters, and and structuring of complex settlements.
General Business Litigation
- Represented hedge fund managers in fund investor litigation.
- Represented medical products company in dispute concerning failed merger.
- Represented a major Brazilian food products company in defense of federal securities class action relating to currency-hedging derivatives transactions.
- Represented a Russian investment bank and U.S. broker-dealer subsidiary in defense of fraud action.
- Represented board member of a technology company in defense of directors' liability action by bankruptcy trustee.
- Represented management directors in proxy contest litigation in brewed beverages business.
- Represented directors in proxy contest in career education business.
- Represented creditors' committee of a telecommunications business asserting claims against former board members.
- Represented minority shareholder asserting securities-fraud claims against controlling shareholders in an international technology company.
- Represented real estate partners in dispute concerning management of commercial properties.
- Represented foreign banks defending against recognition of a multibillion-dollar foreign judgment.
- Represented metals company in complex contracts litigation against a leading steel mill.
- Represented hedge fund partners in litigation concerning breakup of a fund.
- Represented art gallery owners in corporate dissolution proceedings.
Entertainment Industry Litigation
- Represented entertainment company in arbitration concerning valuation of film library.
- Represented promoter of a professional hockey team in litigation concerning arena rights.
- Represented recording artists concerning dispute over the cancellation of concerts.