Scott A. Lavin
Phone: (212) 603-6349 Fax: (212) 956-2164
Mr. Lavin is a Partner in the Firm's Estate Planning and Estate Administration Department, and, in addition, handles client matters in the Firm’s Corporate Transactional, ESOPs, and Real Estate Departments. Mr. Lavin counsels clients on the following matters:
- Sophisticated estate and tax planning for high net worth families, including the preparation of Wills and Trusts, insurance planning, family limited partnerships, defective grantor trusts, grantor retained annuity trusts, residence trusts, asset protection planning, generation-skipping planning, dynasty trusts and the preparation of prenuptial agreements.
- Business succession planning, including shareholders' agreements, buy-sell and cross purchase agreements, insurance arrangements utilizing sophisticated funding arrangements and split-dollar planning, deferred compensation and tax planning.
- Charitable planning, including the creation of private charitable foundations, supporting foundations, charitable remainder trusts, charitable lead trusts and the negotiation of contributions to charitable institutions.
- Complex Estate Administration, including probate, asset valuations, disclaimers, income tax planning, maintenance of accounting records, the preparation of estate tax returns, post-mortem planning, assisting beneficiaries with distributions, settlement of estates on a formal or informal basis and representation of Executors in estate tax audits with the Internal Revenue Service.
Areas of Practice:
Hofstra University School of Law, J.D.
Villanova University School of Law, LLM Taxation
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association Section of Real Property, Probate and Trusts
- Advisor to the Board of Directors of Quiet in the Land, Inc., a New York Not-For-Profit corporation.